Artist of the week

Monday, November 4, 2013

JE' COULEUR

Face to face with a young mexican producer.

- Who are you?
My name is Amauri, I’m a 21 year old electronic musician from México, I release my music as Je’ Couleur.

- Why did you choose this pseudonym?
It just came to me a couple of years ago, I was a bit hooked to french at the time, I loved the way it sounded and at the same time it was so accurate to what I wanted, since I was looking for something related to color. Despite its nonsensical meaning, I think It goes along just great with my sounds. 

-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?
I somehow see it as a need, a very strong one. It means a whole world to me, and it’s amazing how many things I’ve been able to discover along the way. And of course seeing people from different cultures empathizing with what you do is always great.

 - What’s the story behind your songs?
Every song has its own story. Almost every song is related to something I’m living or thinking a lot at the time I’m making it. Some are deeper than others, sometimes I use vocal samples from some of my favorite speeches in order to tell the story, lately I’ve been opting to add whole vocals to my songs, which were first just instrumental. Sometimes the song itself just asks for it. It’s amazing the way a song starts developing by itself at some point, it feels so natural in a way, I sometimes feel just like the medium who puts the pieces together.

- Talking about your album "Art of Time Travel".
’Art of Time Travel’ is my second full lenght album, but I kinda see it as the first proper album actually. The first one was just a random collection of my first songs. This new one had a concept from the begining. I’ve always been amazed by space and time travel related stories, books, movies and all kind of footage from both scientific and spiritual sides. The album splits in two different musical parts, which are juxtaposed so it doesn’t get too obvious. The first one is very influenced by the future/electronic jazz sound from the 90’s , the second one is more lo-fi and sample oriented, it spins around the idea of hearing/receiving signals of sound from different ages.

 - How would you define your sound?
Colorful.

-What genres and artists influenced your music the most?
Lots. If I had to pick some that capture in a way the spirit of my music they’d be ambient techno and disco, also a lot of sample based music and many artists from the early years of UR, Global Underground, R&S, or Warp kind of stuff.

http://jecouleur.bandcamp.com/
-You come from Mexico. What do you think about the music coming from your country and how do you see yourself in relation to them?
Our mainstream scene is certainly pathetic. There are plenty interesting independent projects growing over here, but the lack of musical culture won’t let them out of the box,  I’m pretty sure because, despite not being a direct part of any scene or movement, I’m constantly in contact with other musicians and labels, and we all agree.
In a way, I’m glad of not taking any part, independence is so comfy and sincere that makes you wanna stay forever. On the other hand, it’s a shame that most people isn’t able to hear all the good stuff that is going on in Mexico through traditional media like record companies or international festivals. The connection with South-America and Spain is great though, but that's not even half the world. That’s where the huge importance of the internet in the musical industry nowadays relies on.

-What's your favourite artist and song?
I’ve always changed my mind about it a lot since I remember. I think my favorite tune at this moment is "Replica" by Onehotrix Point Never. Maybe my definitive favorite is Quick Canal by Atlas Sound with Laetitia Sadier, but who knows.

-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowadays and who are you listening to the most?
The "Relevant", I think,  is always up to critics’ point of view. Personally, I think Bradford Cox is one of the finest these days, he’s really been doing great stuff of all kinds for the last few years. People like Daniel Lopatin, Jagwar Ma, Floating Points, Liz Harris or Jon Hopkins are also doing amazing things, absolutely worth a check.

-How much does the live element matter in your music?
Not much really. I’ve never been a fan of live acts by solo electronic musicians/producers. I like much better the idea of making an audiovisual montage or a DJ set, full of songs that are inspiring me at the moment, influences from the past and some of my own songs.

-If you could pick an artist or a band to play with on a stage, who would you choose?
Probably a female singer with a sweet voice to perform with me, I’d really love that. I may do it in the future.

-What do you think about the music industry nowadays?
It often seems to be slowly dying, but I’m pretty sure that will never happen.
I think It has its pros and cons, but I rather stay away of it for the moment and just hold my tongue, you know, you really never can tell if you’re gonna end up being a part of it.

-What is the message that you'd like to express to the people who listen to your music?
The music itself is the message. People is always able to take it as they decide. Hopefully they will take it in the most positive way. I’d be glad if they did, but if they don’t, it’s always up to them.
-What is your favourite book and movie?
Frin by Luis Maria Pescetti  //  The Legend of 1900.
-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
Still making music, I hope. I don’t know where, and I don’t want to know. It could be anywhere. If the question was not ten but a hundred years from now, the answer would still be the same. Unfortunately, you never know.

-Pc or Mac?
 Both. I just can’t help loving computers.

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?
 Beatles of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment