Artist of the week

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

#closeup with Kimekai



Kimekai is electronic project by Marko Vuković.
21 year 
old producer from Croatia.


-Who are you?
I am Marko Vuković, 21-year old music producer from Croatia.

- Why did you choose this pseudonym?
There is no special reason. I chose it because it sounds good to me, and it hadn't been taken by anyone. 
-When I do music I feel in control of my environment.

-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?
Well, I do music mostly because it's the only thing that can liberate me completely in sense of honesty and desires.

- Talking about your future releases "Coral Dreams". What do you say with this title? What’s the story behind it?
The story behind the title is the story of a dream I had multiple times. I dreamt about diving in a sea and there were millions of all this weird- colored and shaped things that reminded me of a corals, so it gave me some inspiration for my songs.


- How would you define your sound?
I usually don't like questions regarding my sound and stuff, mostly because I don't ever think about the way I sound. I think that there is no unique way of sounding. Every person can expirience it different. I guess it's mix of analog synths, dreamy vocals and organic percussions combined together to serve the moment.


-What genres and artists influenced your music the most?
Genre that defined me the most as a musician is post punk. Later I started to explore all kinds of electronic sub genres and stuff, but I still do the songs the same way I did them while I played post punk. If we speak in terms of artists I would say: Joy Division/New Order, Gang of Four, James Blake, Toro y Moi, Shlomo, Soosh, Cloudfactory, Foals, Atlas Sound, Kraftwerk, Why Stakla, Holandija,... all kind of different artists and bands, but they all influenced me in some way.

-You come from Croatia. What do you think about the music coming from your country and how how do you see yourself in relation to Europe?
Most of music that comes out of my country is pure shit. We have some good artists, but most of it is really really bad. I think I could find my spot in Europe, I'm a nice guy. People like nice guys in europe, don't they? :)

-What's your favourite artist and song?
Currently "Kyson - Missing Things"

-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowadays and who are you listening to the most?
James Blake for sure, that guy is genious. Tame Impala is also pretty big. Recently I listened a lot "The Water's Way" by Kyson, yesterday I found out about this guy from Italy called Stèv, he is pretty good! 


-How much does the live element matter in your music?
I think live act is pretty important, I suck at it, but I'm working on it and hopefully improving!

-If you could pick an artist or a band to play with on a stage, who would you choose?
From the present - James Blake. From the past - Joy Division.

-What do you think about the music industry nowadays?
The pop music industry is at its worst ever. But this online music industry, d.i.y./indie industry is awesome. In the same time you have tone of garbage to dig through, but once you dug it up, you'll find a whole world of great music, all kind of genres and styles that people do in their bedrooms, not for the money but out of love.

-What is the message that you'd like to express to the people who listen to your music?
Well, I don't really know. Music is all I want to give to them. If they can find something else in it, great, but I have no real message, just honest music.

-What is your favourite book and movie?
I don't read books, but I watch a lot of movies. My favorite one is "2001: a space oddysey". All time classic by Stanley Kubrick. 


-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
I see myself in some Mad Max scenario, chasing some guys in a V8 Ford Falcon, or something like that, haha. Just joking. Maybe some flat, surrounded with this great musical equipment, doing nothing at all with it, just playing around with my girlfriend, maybe some kids. I don't know, It's a long way to go.  


-Pc or Mac?
Haven't had a mac before, so I guess PC

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment