Artist of the week

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Everlone


-Who are you?

Hi, My name is Tim


- Why did you choose this pseudonym?

There isn't a specific reason I chose the name to be honest. It was more a case of the two words sounding good together. 

-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?

I've been making music for about ten years now, and it's just something I love doing. Some people play sports, I make music (although saying that, I'm a sports fan anyway. 9 points clear at the top of the prem; City ain't catchin' us this year.)


-Talking about your debut album "Verletze".

Verletzte was an EP that took me about a year and a half to write. There's hundreds of different versions buried deep in my hard drive that i was never happy with, and ended up getting the chop. It was kind of a personal test to see if I could actually put together an EP on my own (I get distracted very easily and lose interest in things) so naturally, the day I finally finished it, I was pretty elated. It was released on the brilliant net label "Bad Panda Records"- it's all run by one guy, which is pretty incredible. If you haven't checked Bad Panda out yet, I urge you to do so right now. 
One of my closet friends did some brilliant artwork for the EP (http://andinmyhandsacamera.tumblr.com/

-Talking about the compositions of your songs: how and where they born and what's your favourite track?

I always start my tracks with piano, but I'm very picky about the sound I want so I usually end up traveling for four hours South, back to my Mum's house to use the piano there... Idiot (me, not my Mum)  Then I'll come back to London and edit it all up. I usually wait until a track is completely finished to record vocals, which in a house full of house producers, drummers and generally loud 20-somethings, isn't as easy as it sounds. I wouldn't say I have a favorite to be honest. By the time I've finished an EP I'm usually sick of hearing them anyway. 

-How would you define your sound?

I don't know really. I've been asked this question a lot of times and I never have an answer for it (not to say I feel my sound is 'unclassifiable' or different from others, I can just never pin-point it) I don't know... Lo-fi? That's a genre, right? People keep using the term 'Night Bus' and I absolutely can't stand it. 


-What genres and artists influenced your music the most?

A lot of things influence me, and not just in terms of music. I play in a band aside from Everlone, and being on tour, in a hot and smelly van with your five best friends is what gives me a lot of influence and passion (it sounds horrible, I know) There's something about being cut off from your home comforts that gives you a huge drive to want to create something awesome. I usually go on a huge writing binge when I get back from tour. In terms of artists who influence me, again, it's very eclectic. Sigur Ros were pretty much my first love from the age of 13 onwards (we'll brush over System Of A Down and Mudvayne) and still give me so much influence in the way I write. I've been listening to Seetheroad's Starpatch EP a lot recently, that's really good.


-You come from London. What do you think about the music coming from your country and how how do you see yourself in relation to them?

It depends on what music you mean really. In terms of artists my music relates to it is absolutely fantastic right now. For starters we have Burial, and if you can find a better artist doing what he's doing at the moment, I'll cut my head off and give you my brain. Not to mention the likes of Floating Points, Clubroot, Four Tet (yadda, yadda, yadda) There's people like BNRY (http://soundcloud.com/bnry) who is absolutely killer on the house scene. Definitely check him out. 


-What's your favourite artist and song?

Crikey, that's an awkward question. Diva by Beyonce is very high up there. In fact, anything by Beyonce is very high up there. She's the one. 


-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowadays and who are you listening to the most?

It depends what you mean by relevant? All music is relevant to it's audience, but If you mean what artists are most current, I wouldn't have a clue... Robbie Williams? Is he still flogging that dead horse? (Saying that, his "Swing When You're Winning" album was awesome) ...Maybe I'm missing the point. I'm listening to Buck UK loads again, the Once EP he did on Cut was so good. And Indian Wells, I'm always listening to Indian Wells.


-How much does the live element matter in your music?


Live music always matters, regardless of genre. There's nothing better than waiting to see someone play for ages and finally getting the chance to go see them, whether that be in a club, a venue, a bar or the O2 Arena. For me, I've done very few live shows with Everlone (one) so I'm not really sure on the reception it receives. It's always fun to play live shows though, and at the end of the day that's the reason for doing it in the first place.  


-If you could pick an artist or a band to play with on a stage, who would you choose?

I think it's more a case of who would have me. Maybe I'll throw a spanner in the works and say I want to play with Napalm Death (I'm absolutely joking) I'd love to play a show with someone like Holy Other or Actress, that would be cool. Or Sigur Ros, but that will literally, never happen.


-What do you think about the music industry nowadays?

That's an ambiguous question. People berate the music industry and moan about it every hour of every day, but it's there for a reason. If we didn't have these labels putting out music, we wouldn't have the music to listen to, it's as simple as that. Yeah, there's horror stories about artists being fucked over by the big cheese, but at the end of the day, record labels haven't got "fuck artists over" at the top of their list of priorities. Saying that, the independent label scene is absolutely booming at the moment, which is so good to see. It's awesome that people want to involve themselves in pushing music to other people, generally at their own expense. If you're reading this and you're starting or have started an independent  label, I'd give you a big wet kiss.


-What is the message that you'd like to express to the people who listen to your music?

There isn't a message really, I just hope people like it and that I don't get bored of making it any time soon. 


-What is your favourite book and movie?

The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky is probably my favorite film. It's beautifully made, with an incredible storyline, not to mention the soundtrack by Clint Mansell which is just in a league of its own. Mansell is just in a league of his own. I couldn't really pick a favorite book, there's too many. The Outsider by Camus is very near the top though.


-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?

Errr... 34, hopefully not dead, maybe a bun in the oven. I'd really like a new car by then.

-Pc or Mac?

I use Mac, but PC's are great too.

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?

I've never liked either. McCartney is a dick and Jagger has no moves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment