Artist of the week

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

SPECIAL INTERVIEW: FIVE FOR FIGHTING

 -Why did you choose the name Five for Fighting?
The record label wanted a band name and I'd just come from an L.A. Kings game where Marty McSorley had dropped the gloves with Bob Probert. It seemed to fit the moment.


-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?
I've always enjoyed writing songs. It's rewarding to see your efforts have a positive effect on people. Music can be a great healer and time capsule.


-When and where did you first learn to play?
Mom started me young at the piano as she was a piano teacher. Picked up the guitar at 15.


-Your most famous song “Superman (It's Not Easy)” is simply amazing.
What’s the story behind it?
 I wrote Superman at a time of great frustration. Music was not taking off and one night Superman just popped out. Looking back that song as a gift. I never could of imagined the impact that little tune would have.


- Talking about your traks ,what is your favourite?
Hard to pick from your kids, but if I had only one I'd go with 100 Years.

- How would you define your sound?
Piano based singer/songwriter...the productions may change a tad with the times but it's words and music with a certain worldview.


"Superman (It's not easy)" cover
-A new album is expected this year, how is it going?
Heading to NY to mix our first single!

-What genres and artists influenced your music the most?
70's singer songwriters. Beatles, Billy, Elton, Who, James Taylor, etc...


-You come from Los Angeles. What do you think about the music coming from your country and how how do you see yourself in relation to them?
"100 years" cover
I live in somewhat of a music bubble. I've never paid much attention to the current musical climate, sometimes to my advantage, sometimes to my detriment. It's all about writing the best songs I can aand making sure they are messages I want to take to the stage for a decade.


 -What do you think about the music industry nowadays?
"Slice" cover
It certainly has changed since I broke in. The Major labels have shrunk, the album is dying, radio is more generic. That said, the internet platforms and home studio technology have leveled the playing field. For the music consumer, it's good times. For the music maker...new game.

-What is the message that you'd like to express to the people who
listen to your music?
Thanks

-What are your interests besides music?
 Politics and Sports is where I spend most my energy when I'm not busy being Daddy.

-You are involved in many humanitarian projects and actions (you
created the first video charity website, you played several times for
support to troops and their family, you worked with Telethon to fight
the ALS and so more). Did this experiences change your life?
 The charity work has been the most rewarding component of my career. To meet people who face unimaginable challenges and circumstance, and to watch them fight those battles, gives me constant inspiration and perspective.


-What is your favourite book and movie?
Book-Ender's Game
Movie - Godfather II
-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
 Row 6 at the L.A. Kings game. That's about all I can promise.

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?
 Beatles-Paul

Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy) from Imsfortune on Vimeo.

follow us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment