Artist of the week

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Bodez

Bodez

Bodez are the combination of Chrome Kids founder Kaptin and fellow CK family member Leon Piers aka Falcon Lake (also half of 22/22). Both well versed in hyping up raves, this new incarnation represents their bigger and grimier side from sub-heavy dubs to full on cracked out synth journeys.

Why do you make Music and what does it mean for you?
Leon - I make music quite simply because I was so inspired as a youngster by so many different artists that I could do nothing but teach myself how to do it.
What’s your favourite artist and song?
Leon - That’s a big question. I’d have to go with my all time favourite which is Dirty Diana by Michael Jackson. The Weekend do a good cover too.
Kaptin - It changes depending on the time of day, what mood I’m in, what I had for breakfast, where I am in the world, who I’m with and what hat I’m wearing.
What genres and artists influenced your music?
Leon - Wow. Where do I start, everything from John Carpenters synth jams, to percussion from random Catalonian music. One of the main reasons I started producing music was because of Bristol band Portishead though.
Kaptin - I think anything you do is influenced by everything you’ve heard but I’d say the most obvious influences with Bodez are probably Garage, early Dubstep, Trap, Techno, House, Hip-hop and the kind of cross breed electronic material that we play on the Chrome Kids show.
How much does the live element matter in your Music?
Leon - Me and Kaptin were discussing this only the other day in the studio, we feel music does need a human element even though most of what we do is electronic, some human vocal or percussion can give a song so much more feeling.
Kaptin - It would be quite nice to put a live show together but it wouldn’t be just for the sake of it, you’re promising an extra level of engagement when you take something live and you have to deliver that. I used to play with a few live bands and the buzz you get from it is incredible though so if we could translate it properly I’d be well up for it. Leon’s taking his Falcon Lake project live at the moment, which is a lot more suitable, that’s going to be huge when it drops.
What do you think about the Music industry nowdays?
Leon- Most people will bitch about it. Admittedly the top 40 is plagued with nonsense, however small and mid sized labels are thriving I’m pretty sure vinyl is selling better than it has for years. if people are willing to make the effort and look past the bullshit that is spoonfed to them, there are thousands of great artists and labels to be found.
Kaptin - To be honest I probably don’t pay as much attention to it as I should. Most of the labels and artists I deal with don’t even feel as if they’re part of an industry, they feel a lot more organic and independent but then I think there comes a point when you have to look at what you do as a business too, or it just gets swallowed up. I’ve heard a ton of major label horror stories from friends but I think beyond that, artists are generally starting to get more control over what they do, which can only be a good thing.
What is the message that you’d like to express at the people Who listen to your Music?
Leon - Well, we make music to dance to. And you don’t find many unhappy people dancing. So I guess the message is, be happy :)
Kaptin - Yeah, ‘be happy’ is a solid message, unless something is really sad, then to wander about being all happy is a little bit obnoxious. I don’t think we really have a particular agenda for what we want people to get through the music, like any art it’s open to interpretation but my general message for life is don’t be a dick, unless it’s really funny and be yourself…unless you’re a dick.
Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowdays?
Kaptin - I don’t think there’s a scale for how relevant a musician is but certainly some of the ones that stand out to me at the moment are people who have managed to cross over to a variety of audiences without compromising their sound or who they are. Flying Lotus, Kendrick Lamar and TNGHT stand out as having done that in particular. Also I love artists like Daedelus for constantly pushing boundaries and buttons.
What is your favourite book and movie?
Kaptin - Again, I really don’t have a favourite anything. No favourite colour, favourite pair of socks or favourite food. I do tend to love books by Tom Robbins, Louis de Bernières or Walter Mosely though, they’re generally a safe bet. I’d say I love about 85% of the films I see in some way and the percentage is probably higher for books. If I’m really not feeling something I’ll leave it pretty sharpish.
How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
Leon - On a boat.
Kaptin - Well if you’re on a boat then you’re going to need a Kaptin so I’m in. Seriously though, I used to have a real problem with seeing further than the next week but now I think in 10 years time I’ll have taken a step back from doing music (though I doubt I could ever give it up) and be concentrating more on documentary film or photography of some kind, and possibly writing.

Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Leon - Stones. Always.
Kaptin - Love them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment